Monday, February 23, 2009

Sizzling?

I spent some quality time with a Columbian artist while mixing caipirinhas, eating empanadas and learning to tango last Friday. Although the thought of a tall, gawky individual attempting the dance of love after a few cocktails and meat patties seems like a nightmare, my evening was as real as the sex appeal I radiate on the dance floor.

John Keller hosted the evening in cooperation with CityDusk—the company I’m currently working on beer events with. Despite my relationship the CityDusk, I didn’t shell out for the event just to show home team support. The event, titled Sizzling South America, seemed unique; different from most of the events I see posted on various Manhattan websites.

The evening started at the Praxis art gallery on the Upper East Side for an exhibit by artist Alexis Duque. Duque’s art was polished but his themes of destruction and desolation seemed at odds with the cheery vibe that flowed between the guests and the bottles of South American wine. Nevertheless, I found myself staring at his beautifully bleak urbanscapes and depictions of Dr. Seuss for adults city life. After chatting with the other guests and getting the lowdown on Alexis’ art and the gallery, the group headed downtown to Trangulo Dance studio to mix some drinks, have some eats and learn a step or two in the art of Tango.

The evening was enjoyable, but I have to look at it with a critical eye. CityDusk is a new and upcoming company, and like any newfangled business venture, it needs some polishing. Yes, I had fun, but was it worth the cash I shelled out? I met a few interesting people, learned how to tango and now can add caipirinhas and caipiruvas to my repertoire of cocktails, but I don’t feel as if I got a huge financial bargain. Perhaps it is because the event wasn’t as smooth as I hoped, or maybe because I had to schlep from the Upper East Side to Chelsea in thirty-degree weather. Whatever the reason, CityDusk has a way to go. Despite this bleak description, I’m not disappointed with the company. This event felt like a shaky first date; nothing went exactly as I planned in my head, but there were many happy little surprises and I’m hoping to get a little luckier on the second date. Until then I’ll make sure to call and cross my fingers.

No comments: