Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Beware of Hungry Old Men

Food makes people…funny. After waiting for a little while, I’ve come to realize that not everyone who sits down to eat will be cheerful, happy, nice, polite, honest or (one I’ve just encountered) not a thief! People get very, very angry if their plates come out a second earlier or later than when they expect them. One woman even threatened to sue because the pepper she ate had vinegar on it. Que Ridiculous.

On Sunday I worked a double shift, so I got to see the restaurant in all its chaotic glory from opening to close. It’s a long day, but it isn’t anything too terrible; drink a few cups of coffee, have a glass of water now and then and everything will be fine. I had a few cheap tippers, but nothing really worked me up until this man showed up.

Not only did this seemingly charming old man spend over an hour at the table, slowly nursing a veal platter with his wife, but also he left without signing for his credit card and successfully stole my pen. After chasing his hobbling body outside to get his John Hancock I returned to my station to realize that my pen was gone. I will be on the look out for this shady character from now on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you and Dad ever want to go out for dinner, let me know. If there is one thing in the world that Joe and I love to do, it's go out to eat. We LOVE food. U'r Dad will tell you. For quite a few years we were eating Buddies. Love the blogs, keep them comming!
Linda.