Friday, March 14, 2008

Bull tails and Mustaches

It’s been some time since I last wrote, almost two weeks. In that time, I’ve done some traveling, eating and grew a mustache. All of these I think are fantastic, and I have pictures to prove it.

The food in Portugal is amazing; there aren’t any crazy ingredients or unimaginable cooking techniques, only simple, delicious and well-executed food (not to mention endless varieties of delicious Porto wine—I had more than my fill). Being on the coast, Portugal has a huge fishing industry.

Salt-crusted old men like these fish the ocean for delicious creatures to put on my plate every night.


Bacalao is a salted codfish, usually served fried in olive oil. It’s like a salty piece of heaven for your belly.


There is a type of pastry well known throughout Portugal. It looks like a small, flaky muffin with a custardy inside. Every shop has a different name for it, but this one came from a shop that’s been making it since the late 1830’s.


Even the buskers in Portugal are awesome. Here is a little homeless melodica action. It has nothing to do with food but I enjoyed his tunes while enjoying a beer in the streets of Lisboa.


Among other things I went to see the corrida de toros. It’s a little strange at first, and many people don’t like seeing 6 bulls get killed before their eyes, but it is Spanish tradition. Also, it is pretty interesting to watch. The arenas, or Plaza de la Toros, are usually filled with old men, but there is a good mix of Spanish folks who enjoy the sport/spectacle/whatever it is. What I found most interesting is that after the bull is killed, they drag him in the back and butcher him up for restaurants.

It takes the butchers 14 minutes and 30 seconds to get the bull from this…


(A few minutes before the final blow)


…to this.

Afterwards I ate Ravos de Toro with some friends. It is literally the tail of the beast. It’s tasty, but I found out after that it cost 75 euros for three plates--that comes out to about $20-25 per person! I refused to take a picture out of anger. However, after complaining to the head of the bar I was offered ravos free! Ole!



Finally, we all know that food, traveling, and bull fights are all better when enjoyed with a mustache.


No comments: