Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Spotted Pig

Before heading to Spain I decided to treat Jackie and myself to one of the tastiest dishes I’ve ever had—gnuddi at the Spotted Pig in Manhattan.

I have qualms about the ole’ oinkers: The food portions are small, they are super pricey and drinks are even worse. The first time I ate there I felt that the meal started off great with the appetizers, but they were out of cask ale and everything went downhill after that (Jac had a delicious burger, but Roquerfort cheese is pretty over powering. I had calf liver with pancetta, pretty good, but nothing compared to the appetizers). Despite these drawbacks, the gnuddi made me determined to come back.


Basically, gnuddi is a ravioli or gnocci without the pasta. It is cheese rolled in semolina and cooked. The pig serves it up with brown butter, a velvety cheese sauce and topped off with crispy little sage leaves.
Sound delicious? I think so, which is exactly why I came back. Unfortunately, an Italian truck driver strike prevented the Pig from receiving the ricotta cheese for the dish and I wasn’t able to gobble up these little pillows of gastronomic wonder. Undeterred, we sat down for lunch and discovered the beauty of Michelin star restaurants.

Roasted almonds. Small, filling and with just the right touch of chili.


Apple, cheddar and walnut salad. Simple and delightful. Mixed with parsley and olive oil.
Haddock and bacon chowder. Oh goodness…

Fries. Oh the glorious pile of fries.

Now, I usually don’t eat fries, but something about these potatoes make me want two orders. They are piled high and mixed with fried garlic and rosemary. I don’t know why I’ve never had it before, but garlic fried up like a potato chip is one of the tasty foods I’ve tasted. Simplicity at its best.

No comments: