Saturday, December 29, 2007

Books to make you fat

I recently received a copy of Marco Pierre White's The Devil in the Kitchen as a gift. I first heard of the chef in stories told by Mario Batali and got a more extensive view of his frantic behavior in Bill Buford's Heat. As of chapter 8, the book is a delicious little glimpse into White's fabled cooking career and got me thinking about some of the books that really got me into reading about food and other kitchen related nonsense.

*Be forewarned, these books will make you want to EAT. They contain some loving, mouthwatering and at times sweetly delicate homages to food--lots and lots of delicious, finger-licking food.*

The Tummy Trilogy
by Calvin
Trillin









Although this is really three books in one, its petite 400 pages makes me feel okay considering it a single work. The triple homage to food is a love letter to ribs, burgers and just about any food that comes out of New Orleans.

Trillin ran around the country in the 70's and 80's writing for the The New Yorker and chomping down just about anything he could get his hands on. He makes you love food and more importantly, want to eat as much as possible. A reason why this book makes me so happy is that Trillin can't cook a lick! Unlike the other authors on this list, Trillin doesn't fancy himself a chef, and would never be caught in the kitchen. He is just a food happy guy who loves to eat...and eat...and eat. A huge advocate of indulging in the local specialties, Trillin is capable of making the most staunch health nut want to roll around in a greasy euphoria of fatty rib tips and greasy fried chicken.

Kitchen Confidential
by Anthony Bourdain









I must admit that I really enjoyed this book. Bourdain is an interesting fellow; I can't decide whether he is a passionate food lover or just some self-centered ass. After reading
another one of his books--it was a A Cook's Tour, I've yet to indulge myself with Bourdain's Fiction-- seeing him on television and eating at his restaurant, I am still hung up on the guy's personality. Either way his writing chops are sharp and his stories make for good reading. Despite what you may think about him, this one is worth the read. It was recommended to me by a former co-worker who seemed liked one of Bourdain's beloved kitchen delinquents and I would happily pass that recommendation on to anyone.

Heat:
An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany
by Bill Buford









This one made me hungry. Like Trillin, Buford spent time with The New Yorker. Fancying himself a decent cook, he meets Mario Batali at a party and convinces the larger-than-life-chef to let him extern at the three-star Babbo in NYC. Buford ends up quitting his day-job, diving head first into the culinary footsteps of Batali and ends up with this book four years later.

Heat
is great because Buford unapologetically indulges us in all his screw-ups and triumphs. He goes into this adventure knowing he can't cook well, and sets out to improve his skills. This book really shows how food can make one obsessed (Buford ends up butchering an entire pig in his Manhattan apartment! How can you not love that?) and gives me hope that I can one day successfully be a kitchen slave too.


Check them out...happy reading

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the title of first book you mentioned, it came off as, "White Devil in the Kitchen" - to which I began to assume had something to do with caucasian soul food.

Justin Lloyd said...

I think that Caucasian soul has a real future in the world of gastronomy. We should open a restaurant that serves up nothing but good ol' fashioned northern oppression.

In case you're interested though, the original UK release of that book was called "White Slave," so you may be on to something.